As we prepare to honor the influence and bond we share with our fathers, we thought we’d share a few facts that you might not know about the day.
- In one form or another, Father’s Day has been celebrated since the Middle Ages.
- It is observed in over 100 countries worldwide, although dates of celebration vary from country to country.
- The first Father’s Day celebration officially took place in a West Virginia church.
- In 1910, Sonora Smart Dodd felt there should be a holiday that mimicked Mother’s Day to honor her single father and held her celebration on June 19th.
- Father’s Day was not successfully established as a national holiday until 1972.
So, as you ready your plans for this weekend to celebrate your father, or your parent that has played both roles in your life, remember that the importance of their impact has been felt for centuries.